Thursday, May 1, 2008

Who Is This Man?


Oh, wait. It's Burbank's Mayor, Harry Klein.

I had already moved out of Burbank by the time Harry Klein became mayor, so I don't know anything about this man, except this... When my novel The Book of Ralph came out, I sent him a copy of the book, along with a letter explaining how it was a love song to Burbank, and how it featured several Burbank businesses, many of which were no longer there. Now, I wasn't expecting him to send me a key to the city -- though how cool would it have been to hang a ginormous key on my wall? -- but I was sort of (kind of) expecting a short note, because, well, how many books are set in Burbank? You know? You can probably already guess where this is going. I heard nothing from him, or from anyone in the mayor's office. So, my running joke now has been that I'm going to run for mayor of Burbank and dethrone him. My platform can be, "I'll bring back the Sheridan Drive-in!" What do you think? Do I have a shot?

Hey, I'm sure he's a good guy. Right? I don't know anything about him, so if you want to leave comments, feel free (though please avoid saying anything libelous or defamatory...I'd hate to get sued). And a note to those who don't know me: I'm just teasing Mr. Klein and the mayor's office. No hard feelings.

A future post: Fitz.

8 comments:

YellowRose said...

I moved away before Mr. Klein took office so I know nothing of the man either. BUT....I do believe you deserved at least a nice letter! Maybe you should send them a link to this blog!! ;) You just might get that key to the city after all! LOL

John McNally said...

I should probably note here that this post is tongue-in-cheek. I posted a post once about another writer, expressing mock-outrage, and people thought I was serious. The reaction wasn't pretty. Oops. (That said, I want a GIANT key, dammit.)

leomemorial said...

You only want the key to the Castle. Hahahahahaaaa

John McNally said...

I'll take a key to The Castle. Sure.

Valhalla said...

How many keys to the Castle do you need? Jimmy gives them out like business cards, just don't forget to shut off the A/C and hit the lights before you lock up....

Oh, BTW, Harry is an alright guy, I once threatened to run against him, too, on a one of those legendary Monday nights back in the early 90's when the girls' softball teams and the Cop team would party like the ship was going down and I'd DJ for them...dancing on the bar, the shuffleboard machine, etc. ask Crissy about those nights! LOL~

Anonymous said...

Mayor Klein is a wonderful man. I still live in Burbank and my father is a good friend of his. Quite a few years ago when the state decided to stop funding the D.A.R.E. program, Mayor Klein kept it going because he felt that the children needed it. He makes it to every one of the D.A.R.E. graduations.

John McNally said...

That's good to hear. As I said, I moved away in '83, so I know absolutely nothing about him...but clearly he's popular. He's been mayor since the early '90s.

Anonymous said...

I will move back (or at least buy a place) back in Burbank just so I could vote for you!

I bet you get into a lot of trouble with your humor. But then again, anyone named Anonymous just don't get it.