Friday, May 9, 2008

Where We Went to Church



I'm still not sure why, but our family went to St. Fabian, not St. Albert's, so I didn't know most of the kids I had CCD with (though a few other Burbank strays, such as myself, did inexplicably end up there).

Maybe I would have enjoyed CCD more if I had known more kids, but I have to be perfectly honest: I hated going. One reason was because CCD was the same night as The Bionic Woman, and as a diehard fan of The Six Million Dollar Man, I felt royally cheated out of some quality prime-time television.

Another reason I hated going is that I'm not a fan of repetition. In fact, it makes me sort of looney. And CCD (at least my experience of it) never evolved. Oh, the rituals varied, but the information -- the things we learned -- were always the same, year after year. And so a strange thing happened in that, while I was a law-abiding kid in grade school, I was frequently in trouble in CCD. For example, each year we were shown a symbolic movie about a dying girl and a moth -- does anyone else remember this movie? -- and by the fifth or sixth time, I just couldn't take it anymore. I started laughing maniacally and cracking jokes (I know, I know, I'm terrible...but how many more times could I watch it?). The last time, shortly before Confirmation, I got hauled off into the main office to talk to a priest.




I did like collecting these weekly programs, however, like the one I've posted here. Why? Who knows. And there was a selection of books in wire-racks in the lobby, small picture books about the Prodigal Son and whatnot, and when I was in the first and second grades, I used to beg my mother for enough money to buy them. (As a child, I was a collector of books and curiously worthless artifacts. I still am.)




Take a look at the businesses listed above. How many do you remember? How many are still around?

My father, who was a roofer, worked on St. Fabian's roof. I can't remember if he put the roof on or patched it, but I was out there with him one weekend, helping out. My father was a notorious swearer, and at one point, while one of the priests stood down below watching, my father yelled, "Goddamn it!" And then he saw the priest. My father attended a Catholic grade school in Maine and dropped out of high school because of the old-school nuns, whom he battled with; this would have been in the 1940s. My father said, "Oops. Sorry, Father." I think my father expected lightening to blast him from the church's roof. To his credit, the priest -- an elderly man with snow white hair -- merely laughed and walked back inside the church.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Went to St. Alberts but I bet the switch for CCD had something to do with the scheduling......

St. Fabian's had (HAS) a rockin' carnival!

bm116 said...

CCD...Ah yes, I remember it well! At St. Albert's. First communion, first confession, and confirmation...Oh, and Sunday church from time to time!

Here's one of my most vivid memories: There was another church kitty-corner from St. Albert's on Central and State Road. They had a public address sysem on which they would belt-out bell music from time to time. I could always hear it from my home near Kennedy. It was haunting yet beautiful. Anyone a member of that church?

Anonymous said...

I have fond memories of St. Fabians. I remember sitting in the metal folding chairs and my sister and I would be bored to death and we would slouch in the chairs enough to kick the kneelers on the chair in front of us...dink, dink, dink, thud. Then my mom would give us that look and tell us to sit up. I remember CCD classes there (I made my confirmation at St. Albert's). I remember Mr. Ruby would put an album on for us to listen to the bible stories. He would then lay down on the table and listen along with us. The one priest I remember is Father O'Meara. He was a wonderful man. The carnival always rocked.

Unknown said...

We went to St. Fabians when I was a kid.
The carnivals at both of them was always a good time as a kid, we'd walk to whatever one was going on at the time.
Ahh, it's been years since I rode a zipper, or a ring of fire, or the tilt a whirl.

John McNally said...

Father O'Meara baptized me -- I was baptized in the 1st grade -- and he was the priest who heard my father swear on the roof.

Josie said...

John...Thank you for this great site! I can't believe how much detail people remember from so long ago. I also can't believe that the subject of The Catholic Church has finally spurred me into commenting.
I remember attending St. Fabian's, by force, and sticking to the metal folding chairs. I could never understand why we couldn't attend St. Albert's, the church with the wooden pews.
I don't think I learned anything in CCD. Everyone in my class was from Bridgeview and knew each other. Another reason for me to attend St. Alberts.
After church we'd always go to Bonanza on 81st and Cicero for brunch. I loved that place! Wonder if it's still there?
Don't remember any carnivals at St. Fabian but, in the early 80's, St. Albert always had a great one right before school started.

Anonymous said...

They still have the carnival at St. Albert. Actually, the carnival is back this year after a two year Hiatus. It's the weekend of August 23. Mr. Wiseman is still in charge of CCD.

Anonymous said...

John, I also went to St. Fabian and attended CCD there. I can remember one of our teachers named Mr. Gomez who was pretty cool. He would compare the Beatles to the Apostles. It was quite humorous, but did make me pay attention. I also don't understand why we had to go to St. Fabian. But, I was surprised that several of my grade school classmates did as well. Of course, they went to CCD on a different night while I went on Saturday mornings. I didn't know anyone in my classes because they were from Bridgeview. I absolutely hated going to CCD!!!

John McNally said...

Joanne...I remember Mr. Gomez. He may have been my first CCD teacher, in fact. Thanks for jarring loose a long-lost memory.

bmd815 said...

Burbank Manor Presbyterian is the church across from St Albert's. The bells still ring, unfortunately their timing is off. They'll ring in the middle of Sunday service instead of at the beginning. Kind of annoying!

Anonymous said...

Hey bmd815, The mouse on the rubber band for the bells is getting old. They need to get a newer model. Actually I think he died lately. Ask Mike, it's on the list of old business.