Friday, May 9, 2008

Where We Drink...uh...Socialize: The Castle

Location: 5700 W 79th St. (79th and Major)

For those of you who haven't seen it in a while, here's The Castle after they remodeled it.


No, wait. Sorry. Here it is.



Since I don't live in Burbank (or Chicago, for that matter), and am back in town only occasionally, I'm not an aficionado when it comes to where to drink in and around Burbank. That said, I've been to The Castle a handful of times, and one thing I can say with certainty is this: the drinks are cheap and cold, and the jukebox is good.

In my twenties and thirties, whenever I was back in town, I usually went to Durbin's, so I'll save my good Durbin's stories for later. I also dragged my friend, kicking and screaming, to any number of places: Stancik's Satellite, which had, as I remember, shuffleboard (now there's a business sign I miss...the Sputnik-looking satellite out front? Remember that?); or over to that bar next to Little Frank's Pizza? Help me out. I can't remember the name of it. But in the last few years, I've been stopping off at the Castle.


For those of you who've never been, I should give this warning: It's very un-castle-like inside, and, no, the people who work there aren't dressed as royalty or wearing suits of armor (though maybe they should think about doing that...just a thought, folks). All of this is by way of saying, if you happen to see me in the Castle and, I don't know, feel compelled to buy me a drink, I'm a Bud Light guy (when I'm drinking beer) or an Absolut and tonic guy (when I'm not drinking beer). Not that you have to buy me a drink. I'm just saying...


(photo courtesy of Renee Greco)

10 comments:

YellowRose said...

If I ever get up there and find you sitting there, I'll buy you a drink! ;)

One thing my husband (he's a native Texan) found very interesting about my hometown was that there was a bar almost on every corner! He grew up in a dry county...they had to drive 30 minutes to get a beer!

Unknown said...

I never went to the castle....My friends and I frequented Durbins though.

Valhalla said...

Watch out for the Knights Who Say "Ni!"

Anonymous said...

I never went to the Castle, but usually went to Durbin's and, as a kid, my dad would take us into Sit 'n Sip. I also remember going to Sayre Lounge quite a bit in my early 20's.

leomemorial said...

John, when are we rallying the gang together again and heading back? The jukebox is waiting for us...

Anonymous said...

we were at the castle for a batchelor party about 15 years ago.
upstairs in the party room there was one of those night in armor statues. someone put a bunch of paper towels in his head behind his face mask and lit them on fire.
that was funny seeing smoke and flames coming out of his head! one of my buddies wanted to throw it out the window into the alley in a drunken state but we did not let him get himself arrested!

Anonymous said...

i'd KILL for a picture of Stancik's with the Sputnik-ball sign. i think this was the catalyst for my love of all things googie or general sputnikiness.

-liz

joeydashdollar said...

the same ppl that own little franks own the bar.
it's called franks place.


polk bros. was the only real store.
the other business was a uhaul truck rental.

Bob Guedel said...

It was KANE Liquors, next to that was GRANTS (later Service Merchandise),the KORVETTS,and DOMINICKS.

Anonymous said...

No mention of the Delta Lounge on 87th and Major? This place has been a Burbank mainstay for decades. Everyone I run into seemes to have been to the Delta at least once or twice in their lives.

Delta Lounge stories are everywhere! It would be interesting to see if any of you have any...

-Batman077