Saturday, April 26, 2008

Ford City General Cinema



Remember this? (You see? The Internet is actually good for something.)

I saw dozens of movies at Ford City Theaters, so I'll just hit the high points.



On November 8, 1975, my tenth birthday, my father took me to see Jaws. For those of you too young to remember, Jaws marked the beginning of the "blockbuster" movie (to the detriment of the film business, in my opinion, but that's another story). Anyway, this was the first movie I remember going to where every single seat was taken. My father, brother, and I sat in the last row. I still remember the collective scream from the audience when the bones of a corpse appear in one of the porthole windows.

I saw Star Wars here, too. Lines for Star Wars wrapped around the theater. Every show, hour after hour, week after week, month after month, was sold out. This was the first movie that people went to repeatedly -- five, six, fifteen times. The local news ran stories on how many times some people went to see it. Every time you drove by Ford City, you saw the lines. I wasn't one of the first to see it; I waited months, after the lines had begun to dwindle, if only a little bit. Hard to believe, but the same was true for Superman, which I also saw at Ford City.



I forced my mother to take me to see Steve Martin in The Jerk. It was Rated R; I needed a guardian. My mother, despite thinking it was "stupid" (her word, not mine), laughed the entire time. (She hated admitting that she actually enjoyed it, so I frequently teased her about it!) A highlight, though, was seeing the preview for Kubrick's The Shining: gallons of blood pour from a closed elevator, so much blood that furniture outside the elevator floats away. That was the entire preview, but man oh man, was it effective!

In high school, I reviewed movies for Reavis' newspaper, The Blueprint, and there were some days when I would go to Ford City Theaters for a matinee and then slip into another movie afterward. One day, I saw three movies in a row. If memory serves me correctly, two of the movies were Prince of the City and Southern Comfort; I can't remember the third. I justified sneaking in because, well, the candy and Cokes were so damned expensive.

In the '80s, I saw several forgettable movies at the less memorable Ford City East Theaters, though the one notable movie I saw there (probably a dozen times the month it was released) was Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I saw it so many times, I ran out of money. I had to stand in the parking lot and ask someone for a dime or quarter. Sad, folks. Very sad.



The very last movie I saw at the main Ford City Theater was a midnight showing of Rocky Horror Picture Show -- an appropriate end to an era (for me, at least). This was the fall of 1982. By spring of '83, I was working as an usher at Orland Square's movie theater (I know: I'm a traitor), and by the following fall, I had moved away.

Good times.

9 comments:

John murphy said...

Gotta love the Midnight showings.. Rocky horror film, the wall, the song remains the same .. they had reeefer madness and a lot of cult classic horror films as well. I remember going during the day one time seeing the heritic...One of the more high guys in the group turned and asked .." Did we just see a movie" Yeah we did .. yes it was a forgettable movie ...but geesh we just saw it 5 minutes ago at teh time.

bm116 said...

One of my earliest memories is when my Aunt took me to see the musical Tommy at this theater. Quite a trip for an 8 year old! Seeing the Blues Brothers here was also fun. By the way, does anyone remember the theater that used to be at 95th and Cicero? I don't remember much, but seem to remember everything being red.

chudapecker said...

My first memory of Ford City Theatre was from the early 70's when they had a promotion that enabled you to get in to see a movie for the price of six bottle caps (I think they were RC bottle caps). When I think back I recall that it must have been a plot by my Mom and another Mom to stop us kids from driving them crazy during the dog days of summer. The movies for these shows were in black & white.

I also recall seeing Led Zeppelin's "The Song Remains the Same" about a dozen times before my 14th birthday at Ford City. This was an important step in my musical development as it was at that point in my life that I realized that Kiss mostly sucked...

Anonymous said...

Pepsi bottle cap (6) shows!

Coral Theatre was at 95th & Cicero.

Anonymous said...

I remember the Pepsi bottle caps days. Collecting bottle caps in parking lots near 79th and Central. What a hoot! Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band was one of the movies I remember seeing using bottle caps.

Anonymous said...

95th and Cicero movie theatre was The Coral.

Anonymous said...

The bottle cap shows!! OMG! This site is sure bringing back memories. If I remember correctly, the bottle cap shows were usually the first showing on a Tuesday during the summer and mostly included bad Godzilla flicks.

My first "real" job was at Wendy's at Ford City East (now closed), where Gertie's still is and where the other cinema used to be. Daley College is right there too.

--Christine

--Christine

Joannie Fogarty said...

Does anyone remember Tally's Pub, which was in the same strip mall as Ford City Cinema and Ford City Bowling Alley?? That was the same owners as the Tally Ho! in the mall near JC Penney and also the Tally Ho! in Scottsdale. Just a little of my own personal trivia for you!

Anonymous said...

The Pepsi bottlecap shows were usually some Don Knotts film like The Incredible Mr. Limpet or The Ghost and Mr. Chicken.. We would still go anyway. Six caps and you were in. We usually picked them up off the ground on the way there too.