Friday, April 4, 2008

Radio, Radio: What Burbank Listened To




Yesterday, while driving to work, the Rod Stewart song "You're in My Heart" came on. I was about to change it, but for pure nostalgia's sake, I left it on.









There's that part in the song when Rod sings, "You're a rhapsody, a comedy/
You're a symphony and a play..." Well, as a kid, I had always thought he was saying, "You're a wrapped sardine." Which, of course, makes no sense. But a lot of things didn't make sense to me when I was a kid. Anyway, yesterday, I began thinking about all the other lyrics I had misheard. (Remember: We couldn't Google song lyrics. The best we could do was buy a copy of the magazine Song Lyrics or Hit Parader).




My family moved around quite a bit when I was kid. We lived in the apartments behind House of Camping, an apartment around 79th and Normandy, the condos over around 77th and Austin, and then, finally, a house in the 82nd block of Rutherford. For some reason, my memories of listening to the radio are most strongly connected to the apartment on 79th Street, when I was in third and fourth grades. I listened to WLS. I believe Bob Sirott may have been on WLS back then, but I distinctly remember listening to Larry Lujack.

To give you a sense of the times...if I wanted to tape a song, which I frequently did, I would hold a bulky cassette recorder up to the radio and then press down both the play and red record buttons. The microphone, of course, picked up every sound: me breathing, my mother calling for me, car horns outside. In 1973, 45s were about fifty cents each; occasionally, you'd find a three-for-a-dollar special. In grade school, I gauged pretty much all inflation by the price of a 45.

Every week, for several years, I would go with my mother to Kmart so that I could pick up the most recent Top Forty list. As you'll see below, the Top Forty songs would be listed on the right; the top-selling albums on the right. A D.J. was always featured on the sheet as well. A thrill was seeing what color that week's list would be. (Yes, it was the early '70s. Before videotapes, even. Before cable. Before video games. It didn't take much to thrill me back then.)



In high school, I woke up in the mornings to "Animal Stories," the irreverent show that starred Uncle Larry (Lujack) and Li'l Tommy (Edwards). (I may even have owned an "Animal Stories" album, come to think of it.) Meanwhile, The Loop was piped into the lunchroom at Reavis, and it was there, my freshman year, that I heard about the death of Led Zepplin's drummer, John Bonham.



One summer when I returned home from college, I took a job working in a small electronics company, where I was in charge of Shipping and Receiving. This was 1985 or '86. A guy I worked with -- Joe -- was in charge of the radio, and so we listened all morning to Steve Dahl, which was fine, but then I had to listen to some Easy Listening station all afternoon, which wasn't fine. (Every frickin' day, I would hear Neil Diamond's cheesy E.T. tribute, "Heartlight," a song that still inspires me to want to smash the radio.)



I've barely touched on music here, so I'm sure I'll be coming back to it often, but in the meantime, tell me what station you listened to?
What lyrics did you hear wrong?
And what other major radio events do you remember? (Did anyone go to Disco Demolition?)

16 comments:

YellowRose said...

I listened to WLS and the LOOP back then. Gosh, 45's...I spent a lot of my allowance on 45's and loved getting the Top Forty list! I remember one of my very first 45's that I bought for myself was Donny Osmond's, "Puppy Love." LOL

As for getting lyrics wrong, I'm not going to admit to that!! ;) There are too many songs that I hear today that I realize I have sung along to completely wrong! Thank God for Google!

Enjoying your new blog John. It's nice for a gal like myself who moved away 25 years ago to reminisce.

Sherry

Jimmy D (78th & Lawler) said...

I also listened to WLS and the LOOP, and sat with my huge tape recorder with my fingers on the play and record button waiting for a good song to come on so I could tape it!

My biggest lyrics blunder was "Big old Jet Airliner" Steve Miller Band. I always sang the lyrics as "People don't jam with the light on" Yikes! (it was the 70's, what do you want?)

Linda said...

I remember waking up every weekday morning and listening to Uncle Larry and Little Tommy and the Animal Stories. Thanks for making me laugh.

Linda

Anonymous said...

John,

My friend Alex's Mom took all the pictures of Disco Demoliton featured in that WTTW documentary a few years back. Another friend of mine went to Comiskey the day after that around age 7, pointed at the strange jagged black garbage on the sidewalk and asked "What's that, Dad?" His answer was, "Those are broken records, son."

No discussion of misheard lyrics is complete without "revved up like a douche" from "Blinded by the Light." Also, I used to think the Village People sang, "It's understated, the YMCA" instead of "it's fun to stay at the YMCA." Understated--you know, humble?

--Brian C.

Tony D said...

John, great blog. I am a bit older than you (Reavis Grad 1979) and Burbank native (81st & Long) but the sounds of WLS, "the Loop" and of course WXRT always were somewhere close by.

Like you, we all have those songs that make us want to throw our radio or stereo into traffic on 79th Street...mine "Billy Don't be a Hero" Yuk!

kristie said...

OMG! You are making me remember so much about my past! I have not seen one of those top 40's lists since I was probably in 8th grade! I used to have an animal stories T-shirt AND one of those fantastic plastic cards ( altho I never knew what it was good for, I still carried it in my wallet). I too, had a cassette recorder, fully loaded with my high quality tapes that I had purchased at Walgreens, and I would sit with my 7-up can radio and listen to WLS and wait to hit record. I would then roller skate up and down the sidewalks playing these incredible homemade tapes! HAHA!

Thanks for sparking my memories...I love your blog!

Kristie
in VEGAS
( formerly 77th and Lockwood)

bm116 said...

OK, one of my many personal misheard lyrics:

In 'Games Without Frontiers', it wasn't until one day in the last 12 years that upon reading on a lyrics web site, I discovered Peter Gabriel wasn't singing 'She's So Funky, Yeah'. Hey, I took German in High School!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I remember those sheets that had the top singles and albums! I used to love getting those. I also listened to Animal Stories and WLS. And, of course, I remember recording songs off the radio with my little tape recorder. I remember telling everyone that you cannot interrupt, speak, or breathe while I'm recording. I'd shut all the windows in my room so no other sounds would record. LMAO!

Anonymous said...

John, I forgot to mention that I absolutely despise "Heartlight" too. This Tues. is Neil Diamond night on American Idol, someone is sure to sing that one! LOL The song I absolutely could not stand, however, was "True" by Spandau Ballet. YUCK!

And "revved up like a douche"...too funny. I still sing the song that way!

chudapecker said...

How about WCKG...? I remember that was the other cool rock station besides the Loop in Chicago. I recall WXRT being a little too weird for me in the 70's & 80's. They always seemed to get a little too excited when "Echo and the Bunnymen" came to town...

One of my favorite lyrical favorites was also "Big old Jet Airliner" by the Steve Miller Band. For some reason the words "Dingojad and a whino" was what I heard in my head. To this day I still can't believe that NOBODY in the studio thought to correct Billy Ocean when he sang "Cara-byune Queen"...

Does anyone else recall Survivor playing at St. Lawrence in 1981? This was the year before they hit it big with "Eye of the Tiger". By the mid 80's high schools had started using DJs for dances/mixers instead of bands. What a shame...

Anonymous said...

late 70's early 80's - WMET 95.5
rocked! still have a WMET bumper sticker on the wall of my garage.
I too was at the Survivor concert at St. Laurence in 81. man i thought that was insanely cool!
there were lots of good local cover bands around then, Trix,
Just Us, Shire Reeve, off brodway,
they all played at St.Laurence while i went there. class of 84.

Anonymous said...

I too was there, TOM

Anonymous said...

I too was there, Tom!

Hawk said...

Gosh! I remeber in 1974 when Reavis went on a walk out for 3 days. We had streakers, And partys on the front lawn. Egged the school. Fire alarm was pulled. Grad of 1975...

chudapecker said...

Wow, I just now read the anonymous post from 9/8/08 about the concerts at St. Lawrence. I was in Shire Reeve along with Perry Danos, who just released an album and sang the anthem ar Sox park recently and Ken Hozzian who still plays around the SW suburbs in "Brothers In Arms". Dave Yanko was also in that band.

Gary Ernie Turner said...

The walk out was really something to behold but... does any one really remember what it was about although the late 70's are a bit foggy...I recall that the basketball coach was going to be fired whether this is true or just fiction.... it was alot of fun the streakers were great to bad we didn't have cell phones back then with cameras!!!! I was there graduated in 74... Times were alot different then but everything worked out good except for one divorce.... my childern were all born healthy ... for me I live in St. Croix USVI no snow